St Peter’s Church, Cogenhoe

Home

Bells and Ringing

St Peter’s bell ringers are affiliated to the Peterborough Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers.  New members are always welcome.  You must be at least 10 years old to ring (which is a requirement of our insurers).  Our Tower Captain is Mrs Dorothy Stopps (01604 890638) and regular practice night is Monday at 7.45.  


Although the Tower was built in about 1380, the bells are rather more recent.  There were three bells originally, but they were recast and another three added.  The bells were turned and re-hung in 2003 by Taylors of Loughborough, who operate one of only two bell foundries in Britain.


Diam

Weight (imp)

Weight (kg)

1

26”

3cwt 3qr

191

2

27”

4cwt 1qr

216

3

27”

4cwt 2qr

229

4

29.5”

5cwt 2 qr

280

5

32.5”

6cwt 3 qr

343

6

37”

8cwt 3qr

445

St Peter's bells from above St Peter's ringers

Bell size and weight

Traditionally all church bells have inscriptions cast in


TREBLE

VENITE

EX DONO. ROLAND DOBREE CAREY, JP

ET FANTINE UXORIS EIUS

CAST BY ALFRED BOWELL OF IPSWICH A.D.1909


2

ORATE

JOHN PALLISER FREND, M.A.,

RECTOR ISTIUS ECCLESIAE

CAST BY ALFRED BOWELL OF IPSWICH A.D.1909


3

JAMES COLES SHARMAN AND WILLIAM CLAYSON

CHURCHWARDENS

CAST BY ALFRED BOWELL OF IPSWICH A.D.1909


4

HENRY BAGLEY MADE MEE 1678

RECAST BY BOWELL OF IPSWICH 1909


5

UNKNOWN 14TH CENTURY

RECAST BY BOWELL OF IPSWICH 1909

THE PRE-REFORMATION FOUNDERS MARKS WERE REPRODUCED IN FACSIMILE


TENOR

HENRY BAGLEY, ECTON 1678

JOHN SIBBLEY AND RICHARD FEASANT

CHURCHWARDENS 1678

RECAST BY BOWELL OF IPSWICH 1909